Monday, June 30, 2008

Southeast Asian Experience (Nam and Laos)

Post card sceneries in Laos (not a post card... YET!).

Lady cutting raw meat in a Vietnamese market within centimetres from her dirty bare feet.
She was also made some pretty stinky "toe" fu.
Steak anyone?
Me riding speckles the elephant through the jungle.
Who knew you could stear an elephant by tugging it's ears!


Sliding down a waterfall in Laos.
and YES... this IS as dangerous as it looks.
Don't worry only 4 people died last week doing this. (kidding!!!...???)

Elephants pooped in the waterfall.
(note to reader: this poop was excremented post waterfall swim.)

Question Mark!!!!

Shop keeper in Vietnam hard at work.
Sometimes you gotta suck it up and be a man!
(I promise I chose this bike only due to a lack of options! seriously!)

This is a disturbing display of dog transport.
I don't think they were being shipped to Disneyland
:o(
Homey... ? Horney... ? Either way it's funny.

This is the picture of ANOTHER kid I battled in a small village. This time in Laos.
Video on it's way (as soon as I find some faster internet connections!!!)

That's right folks.
I'm rocking out in South East Asia and it's been a CRAZY adventure.

Unfortunately, Vietnam wasn't my favorite place. So to all those who warned me, I learned my lesson. I sweated like a pig, people stared angrily, I got spat on, people laughed.
Good times.

A tuk-tuk (cab) driver horked a nice one on my shirt after he decided to decline our services because the group I was with wanted a FAIR price for our late night ride home from the bar.
I in fact had nothing to do with this price negotiation. I didn't care about the extra 2 dollars we would've paid for his cab. However I was the closest in spitting range so I was granted with his horkey treasure splat on my shirt. Yummers.
Oh how I love Vietnam.

Luckily I was only there for 2 days.
The people of Laos however are suuuuuuuuuuper friendly/awesomely awesome
(and luckily I spend an entire week travelling across Laos!)

Lots of adventures have gone down there too, quite an extradinary place for active citizens.

Some of the crazy adventures in Laos:
1. Bike ride deep into local villages off the beaten path.
This was great! I wonder why all the little kids were laughing at me... oh yea!!!
I was riding a bright pink girls bike with a pink basket and a constantly ringing bell.
Shucks.

2. Solo tube ride down a river with an intense current (got split from all people who came with me with no money and was eventually saved by a little girl from Laos who could swim like a ninja. Unfortunately she wanted me to pay her for the save but all I had were the clothes on my back. So that's what she got. Not satisfied after I told her money wasn't an option she pointed at my hat. It happened to be my Funk Fanatics breakin crew hat. Please give a warm welcome to the newest member of the Funk Fanatics crew, Bgirl... Laos Fish!)

3. Elephant Ride (pictures provided. Our elephant's name was speckles!)

4. Waterfall sliding (this was more stupid then it was fun. It's the type of place that stays open for tourists until someone dies. Luckily I was not that person. Woo hoo!)

The only reason I am making this post is because I'm soooooooo tired and moving is no longer an option.

Southeast Asia Total Travel Time: 40 hours on a bus in 5 days
(and counting)

See you on the other side of the world!

PS look at a squirrel for me... I miss squirrels.
Ohhh and um...

PPS Eat a bowl of cereal for me...
Here's the fractional bowl mix break down:
3/10 mini-wheats
2/10 wheetabix
4/10 life
1/10 shreddies

Seconds anyone?

- Mikey

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahaha love your last posts, too funny :) happy canaday day btw

Anonymous said...

OMG Mikey! This is why I don't want to go to Vietnam because I hear stories similar to your encounters from family members who have been back there, and I'm Viet -_-"

But I am VERY happy you enjoyed Laos =] My bf is Lao kekeke...

We're all missing you back in Canada and am very proud of you and your smile!

Anonymous said...

I love how she could 'swim like a ninja'
have you EVER seen a ninja swim?!
their swords would get all rusted. :)
...but at least now she has a super cool hat.

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHAHAHA "toe" fu. I DIED. Mikey, you kill me with your wit! I hope you ate some of her toe fu. It seemed like she worked hard to make it. And also, I dont understand WHY you choose to slide down the waterfall of DEATH you crazy ape!!! But your pictures made my day..reminded me of how much I miss you. I cried a river, Justin Timberlake style. haha
LOVE FUNKY D aka. Diana