Friday, June 6, 2008

I miss you too!

Have you ever cried after seeing something so beautiful? This was my face before it was shocked by tears. I know I'm a big loser. But with a green tea at the top of a mountain on a sunny day looking at this picture below (but in real life) for an hour will do crazy things to you.
Lijiang... My new home... English teaching jobs anyone?

BEAUTIFUL Lijiang. wow.

take a moment...

look again...

wow. The morning ritual in Lijiang. Tooth brushing :o) (on the street)
It's sad... but true. DIRTY toilets in china galore!
Mmmmm... Duck tounges... and YES I did eat this one! Go big or go home!

Interesting translation...
We stayed one night in Kunming and I wish we could've stayed longer because on the one night we were there I met soooooo many people in our hostel and some little kids tried to tie me up and throw me off the roof the building. But their arms were too small and their mom didn't let them so I was in good hands. (see picture above)

What are you looking at?! (peacock at random big tree tourist location. I settled for this tour spot because on my second day of biking around Yangshuo I got lost and couldn't find the Moon Hill rock climbing spot I was looking for. At least I met this bird thing :o)

Need I say more?


Hey chums!!


I'm sorry I haven't been around for a few days.
Things have been busy out here in China and my time to the internet has been few and far between. I managed to find an open opportunity after everyone went to sleep.


Since we last spoke I arrived travelled from Guilin to Kunming to Lijiang.
The train to Kunming was about 20 hours. An experience I will NEVER forget.

As per usual I am constantly being overwhelmed with the differences of this country. Every place we go has it's own unique character. The food of Kunming is AMAZZZING!!! People are afraid of Chinese food because they don't understand it or have false interpretations of what it actually is but if you sat down to the same meal I had the night I was in Kunming I guarantee you no matter what species you are Chinese food will be your new favorite.


I heart you all!!! HEART!!!


- Spikey Mikey spreading UNITY... worldwide.

13 comments:

julz said...

I know what you mean about seeing something so beautiful or amazing that it makes you cry....its cheezy, but you can't knock it till it's happened!

amazing pictures, i like your new yellow shirt

glad to see you still have all your limbs.

julz said...

ps.
i can't believe you ate duck tounge! :s

jeff said...

you should start a flickr group just for all the random signs you find in china. and then you should cry. then i will cry. then we will cry together. you should turn this into a video blog. then people don't have to read. because reading is sad. hugs.

Anonymous said...

hahaa, looks like a lot of fun Mike! I really like those random funny signs too! I agree with jeff on that one and agree you should make a flikr site too!

Anonymous said...

kcjeqfHi Mikey
Everything you are doing looks sooooo amazing.A thousand pictures can't explain what you see unless you are there in person. Just wanted to let you know that bubbie had her surgery on Wednesday and she is doing much better than two years ago. She is in some pain but that is to be expected but it is more tolerable than last time. Hopefully this operation did the trick. She has a more positive out look about this one. We are thinking about you. Be careful.Love you. Bubbie & Zaidy.

Anonymous said...

BBoy, keep on doin your thang, glad to see your having a wicked time, keep on taking photos and writing stories. dont forget the secret hand shake. and definitely go to a few more massage parlors.
peace, bboy shrek

Anonymous said...

So I assume Lijiang has out-favourited Yanshuo??

Wow congrats on trying duck tongue. When are you going to graduate to "internal delicacies"? lol

Anonymous said...

Dude you have beard! Sorry that wasn't the point lol...I like how you to a pic of your face before you saw the scenery. Very creative! The rooftops are so interesting. I'm used to seeing rooftops in Europe that most people take. Good job with the photos and the vomit poster sign lol. N those ducks tongues look weeeeird!

Matthew Lie - Paehlke said...

i have been to all those places, kunming, lijiang, dali and the jade Dragon snow mountain of extreme fogginess with no view! i didn't make the leaping tiger gorge though.

Matthew Lie - Paehlke said...

your take on it is much funnier than mine though. !:) !

Anonymous said...

looks like you are having a blast! yes you are missing out on many great things back in the T.O. but where you are and what you are doing is much more entertaining and any one of us would love to be there beside you! Just went to the style in progress yesterday, so ill! good bboy circle great art good music need I say more!
fam is good and we will see you soon! take care and I dont think I would ever be brave enough to eat any of those things you tried (duck tounge) sick!!!

see ya mikey
Jaime jiven

Harrison said...

Mike! It`s your friend Harrison from Ottawa! I just had the time to catch up on your blog recently. I can honestly say that the world needs more people like you Mike. I`m currently working for a global NGO and the nature of my work requires me to be knowledgeable in regards to world affairs and such. So everyday I check bbc world region by region. All I read about is tragedy, dispair and sometimes a little glimmer of hope. From reading about how you have graced Asia with your prescence, you to the world are that glimmer of hope I mentioned. You are personifying York`s `redefine the possible'. I'm not saying this out of kindness but in actual fact, you have no idea what kind of positivie impact you've made on the childrens lives in China and Asia. The smile on their faces reveal the genuine kindness you've shown them. You choose to bring out the best in people and share your gift of breakdancing across the world! Also, the willingness to respect other cultures shows as you try some things that are very very unusual for western people like brains and tongues. (we'll do it again in Toronto hahaha). My main form of contact with you has been through our coloborations and since I've read your blog I'm very proud to have a friend like you. Mike, please keep on changing the world one place at a time, from person to person! I come back to Toronto aroudn the same time as you end your journey in Asia! I have alot of stories to tell about my life in Ottawa for 3 months as well but please understand that they will not be 1/2 as interesting as your trip in Asia! Can't wait to see "Unity" in the following year Mikey. Best wishes and stay safe!

Sincerely,

Your friend Harrison

Harrison said...

Also! I picked up a great book authored by the Dalai Lama and an American psychologist Howard Cutler called "the Art of Happiness" and your journey is a reflection of what people desire to attain Mike. True happiness is derive from the ability to feel compassion and acts of kindness. Go MIKE!